Friday, September 2, 2011

The Craftsman Bungalow in “I Love You, Beth Cooper”



by HOOKEDONHOUSES on FEBRUARY 6, 2011

I Love You Beth Cooper-bungalow

The 2009 comedy I Love You, Beth Cooper, didn’t impress me much, but the charming Craftsman-style bungalow that the Cooverman family lived in did. When the coked-up bullies broke in and start destroying the kitchen, I could hardly stand it. I immediately began searching for information about the house to find out if it was real.

What I learned was that the exterior is a real house located just outside Vancouver, but the interiors were sets on a soundstage.

front door

Hayden Panettierre plays Beth Cooper, the popular girl Denis has had a crush on since the 7th grade. (Denis was played by newcomer Paul Rust.) In his Valedictorian speech at graduation, he proclaimed his love for her. “I have been loving you from behind…in English Lit, and Practical Science…” (I was Salutatorian of my graduating class, but my speech wasn’t nearly as entertaining.)

Afterward, he screwed up the courage to invite her to his house that night for a graduation party. Surprisingly, she and her two friends show up.

We catch a glimpse of two beautiful fireplaces in Denis’s house–this yellow-tiled one behind him:

fireplace

And this one behind his dad, played by Alan Ruck (you may remember him as Cameron from Ferris Bueller’s Day Off–you can see those houses here):

living room

The characters spent most of their time in the kitchen:

I Love You Beth Cooper-kitchen

The movie was based on the popular novel by Larry Doyle of the same name.

Craftsman kitchen 1

The Production Designer was Howard Cummings. Set Decoration by Mary-Lou Storey.

kitchen 3

Sorry for the shirtless shot, but it was the only time we got to see that corner of the kitchen with the table:

kitchen table

The kitchen was small, but I liked it. I didn’t hear much of the dialogue in these scenes because I was trying to get a closer look at their open shelving and the blue tile:

kitchen 4

kitchen 2

When Beth’s boyfriend Kevin shows up and breaks into the house, Denis runs upstairs to his room. His friend Rich asks, “Denis, have you ever seen any of the Friday the 13ths? You run upstairs, you die!”

Denis’s bedroom has a window seat and some cool built-ins:

Denis's Bedroom 1

I thought it was pretty funny when Denis fought the bully with a light saber:

Denis's bedroom 2

I’ll be honest and tell you that as soon as they left the house to go off on other adventures, I lost interest and fast-forwarded through the rest, hoping they’d go back to the house eventually. They did, but only gave us one final look at the front of the house:

overhead view of house

Did anyone else see this movie and think that the house was the best thing about it?

Hooked on Craftsman-Style Houses? Check Out These Other Goodies:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

No comments:

Post a Comment